If you're thinking about selling your products on Amazon India, there's something you need to know: the Goods and Services Tax (GST) rules. Since July 1, 2017, if you want to sell across India, you have to get a GST registration – unless you're selling stuff that's exempt from GST. The good news is that you can do this online; there's no need for paperwork or running around.
Why Is It Mandatory to Have A GSTIN For Amazon Seller
It is mandatory for businesses carrying out a taxable supply of products and services with a turnover of above Rs. 20 Lakh or Rs. 10 Lakh in some states, to register themselves as a normal taxable person under the GST regime. GST Registration is necessary for independent e-commerce sellers and for sellers with listings on websites like Amazon.in except for the 0% GST category items. GST Registration also allows the business to avail benefits like seamless input of tax credit, under the GST regime.
We'll break down the GST registration process into easy-to-follow steps:
Getting Your GST Application Form
The first thing you need is a Temporary Registration Number (TRN). Here's how to get it:
- Visit the GST Portal: Go to https://www.gst.gov.in/.
- Find the Registration Section: Under the "Services" tab, click on "Services" > "Registration" > "New Registration." Alternatively, if you prefer, you can apply for GST through Amazon's special offer.
- Enter Your Details: Fill in all the info they ask for, including your PAN number, email, and mobile number.
- OTP Time: Once you've filled everything in, hit "Proceed." You'll get two OTPs – one on your mobile and one in your email – to verify your details. These OTPs only work for 10 minutes, but you can request new ones if you need to.
- Temporary Reference Number (TRN): After all that, you'll get a Temporary Reference Number (TRN).
- Using Your TRN: To move forward, either click "Proceed" or go back to "Services" > "Registration" > "New Registration" and choose the "Temporary Reference Number (TRN)" option. Enter your TRN and the captcha shown on the screen.
- Verify the OTP Again: Now you'll be asked for another OTP. This one's different from the first – use the new OTP sent to your mobile and email.
- My Saved Application: After all this, you'll end up on your "My Saved Application" page. Here, you have to fill in all the form details and submit them within 15 days. If you don't, your TRN and saved form will disappear. So, make sure you click "Edit" and move on to Part II.
Filling Out Your GST Application Form
The GST application form has ten sections or tabs, and here's how to handle them:
- Go through all the tabs as instructed in the slides. After you've filled in each section, click "Save & Continue" to make sure everything gets saved.
- Pay special attention to the 'Business' and 'Promoters / Partners' tabs. You have to fill out at least the mandatory fields and provide proof of your business's constitution.
- In the 'Authorized Signatory' section, you'll need to give their info. If you want to e-sign the form, use the mobile/email of the Authorized Signatory. If you plan to sign with a Digital Signature Certificate (DSC), the PAN of your Authorized Signatory has to be linked to the DSC.
The slides have more instructions on how to fill out the rest of the tabs, like the 'Primary Place of Business' (PPOB) Tab, 'Goods & Services' Tab, and 'Bank Accounts' Tab.
Registering Your Digital Signature Certificate (DSC)
You'll need a Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) to verify your GST application. Here's how it works:
- DSC is a must for Companies and LLPs.
- You can only use the DSC of the Authorized Signatory you specified in the GST registration form.
- If you want to verify the form differently (not using DSC), check out Part IV.
To sign the GST form with your DSC, you'll need to:
- Install DSC software on your computer.
- If you need a DSC, contact one of the certifying authorities listed at http://www.cca.gov.in/cca/.
- Make sure you have the DSC Dongle (usually comes with the DSC software).
- To sign the GST form, also install Emsigner from emsigner.com.
Checking and Submitting Your GST Application
You can submit your application in three ways:
- Verification with DSC: Follow the earlier section to verify with your DSC.
- Verification with E-signature: For E-signature, look at the section below.
- Verification with EVC: Details are in the section below.
Once you're done, you'll get an Application Reference Number (ARN). They'll send it to your mobile and email. Here's what to do next:
- Log in with your ARN on the GST portal.
- Click on "First time login" at the bottom of the login page.
- Use your temporary username and password to log in. Then, change your username and password for future use.
In 3-5 days, you'll be able to download your Registration Certificate. Log in with your credentials on www.gst.gov.in, go to "Services" > "User Services" > "View or Download Certificates," and click "Download."
With your GST registration done, you're all set to start selling on Amazon India. Explore the opportunities, stay compliant with GST rules, and make your e-commerce journey a success!
In the complex world of e-commerce, ensuring compliance with tax regulations is paramount, especially when you're an Amazon seller in India. This guide has provided you with a comprehensive roadmap for GST registration, simplifying a crucial step in your journey.
By following these step-by-step instructions, you can navigate the GST registration process with confidence and ease. Remember that GST compliance is not just a legal requirement but also a crucial aspect of running a successful online business on Amazon India.
With your GST registration in place, you're well-prepared to explore the vast opportunities that Amazon offers to sellers in India. Stay committed to compliance, keep a close eye on changes in tax regulations, and focus on delivering quality products and services to your customers. This commitment will undoubtedly contribute to your long-term success as an Amazon seller in the dynamic and thriving Indian e-commerce market.Now, armed with your GST registration and a deep understanding of the process, you can confidently embark on your Amazon seller journey, ready to thrive in this exciting and ever-evolving marketplace. Happy selling!