E-commerce has transformed the way businesses operate, and Amazon stands out as a giant in this ever-expanding digital marketplace. For sellers, understanding the intricacies of Amazon's fee structure is crucial for success. In this article, we'll delve into the various types of Amazon selling fees, strategies to manage them effectively, and insights from successful sellers.
Amazon's vast reach and customer base make it an attractive platform for sellers worldwide. However, navigating through the complexities of Amazon selling fees can be a daunting task. Let's break down the essential components to ensure you make informed decisions for your business.
Types of Amazon Selling Fees
- Referral Fee (based on Category)
- Closing Fee (based on Price)
- Weight Handling Fee (Shipping Fee)
- Other Fees
1. Referral Fee (based on Category)
At the forefront of Amazon's fee structure is the referral fee, a percentage of the total selling price of a product. This fee varies by product category and plays a pivotal role in determining the overall cost of selling on the platform.
Calculating Referral Fees:
For instance, if you sell a book for ₹450 with a 4% referral fee for books, the Referral Fees would amount to ₹18 (₹450 x 4%).
2. Closing Fee (based on Price)
The Closing Fee, levied every time a product is sold, is influenced by both the price range and the fulfillment channel chosen by the seller.
FBA Closing Fees
In the case of Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA), closing fees are a combination of the item's price and category.
- Selling Books at ₹200 (falling within the ₹0-250 exception list) incurs a closing fee of ₹12.
- Selling a Speaker at ₹450 (not in the ₹251-500 exception list) results in a closing fee of ₹20
Easy Ship & Self Ship Closing Fees
For Easy Ship and Self Ship, the closing fees are solely based on the item's price.
- Selling Books at ₹200 with Easy Ship incurs a closing fee of ₹5.
- Selling a Speaker at ₹450 through Self Ship results in a closing fee of ₹20.
Here is the chart of detailed pricing
3. Weight Handling Fee (Shipping Fee)
Shipping fees come into play when utilizing Easy Ship, Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA), or opting for Self Ship. The calculation varies based on item weight, distance, and the chosen shipping method.
FBA & Easy Ship Shipping Fees
- Shipping a 700g book from Delhi to Chandigarh through FBA incurs a shipping fee of ₹57.
- Shipping a 3.5kg speaker from Bangalore to Shillong through Easy Ship results in a shipping fee of ₹178.
- Shipping a 19kg chimney within Bangalore using Easy Ship incurs a shipping fee of ₹227.
No shipping fees are charged by Amazon.in for Self Ship. Sellers must handle delivery through a courier partner, with different fee rates based on distance.
- Local Rate: Intra-city pickup and delivery.
- Regional Zone: Shipment within the same region but not the same city.
- National Rate: Shipment moving across regions.
Easy Ship Weight Handling Fees
Fulfillment by Amazon Weight Handling Fees
4. Other Fees
While the aforementioned fees cover most Amazon transactions, sellers may encounter additional charges based on their chosen Fulfillment Channel, program, or service.
Pick & Pack Fee (FBA Only)
This fee, applicable only for FBA, is charged per unit sold at ₹13 for Standard, ₹26 for Oversize, Heavy & Bulky items.
Storage Fee (FBA Only)
Storing products in the Amazon Fulfillment Center incurs a fee of ₹45 per cubic foot per month.
FBA Removal Fees (FBA Only)
In case a seller opts to remove products from the Amazon Fulfillment Center, specific removal fees apply.
Note: FBA Removal fee is charged per unit. All fees above are displayed excluding taxes. We will apply Goods and Services Tax (GST)
In conclusion, as e-commerce continues to reshape the business landscape, Amazon remains a dominant force in the digital marketplace. Understanding the intricacies of Amazon's fee structure is essential for sellers aiming for success. This article has provided valuable insights into the various types of Amazon selling fees, strategies for effective management, and perspectives from accomplished sellers. By gaining a comprehensive understanding of Amazon's fee structure, sellers can make informed decisions to optimize their business on this influential platform.